Bananas go to law school, too!

4.30.2006

Why this little shuffle will be the end of me....

So, about a week ago, I finally got my ipod shuffle. And it's a great thing. GREAT THING. Except that I discovered podcasts. Every night, I load up my little guy with NPR, NYT & CNN newsy things. Which is fine and cute, because they each last about 2 minutes and I can quickly listen to them and go on to more important things (sleep!) But, like usualy, it didn't stop there.

As a way to get around pesky Con Law studying, I downloaded a bunch of Constitution Society lectures. IT'S EXACTLY THE SAME AS OUTLINING, right? Exactly the same.

And then I realized that Bill Maher's Politically Incorrect has the audio from the weekly shows. Mr. Bill has been my age-inappropriate crush for, say, the last 10 years - so of course I listen with gusto. Each episode is an hour, so, somehow, I keep myself awake until four getting all riled up about politics. NOT GOOD. NOT GOOD. This is almost as bad as when I discovered Sodoku three days before my Property final last semester.

At least this way, I get my often-inarticulate (um, Meghan/Abby/Suz can attest to my incoherent WE HAVE NO FREE WILL argument) views put into nice, bite-size soundbytes. Here's one that I literally had to get out of bed last night and write down because it was so ON POINT with the way I feel about the Christian right and as a Christian myself:

The Christian right are now officially the party of paranoia. “Secularists are attacking Christmas!” “Liberals are attacking values!” And the worst part is, the people bitching loudest about being persecuted about their Christianity aren’t Christians at all; they’re demagogues and con-men and scolds and the only thing they worship are power. If you believe Jesus ever had a good word for war, or torture, or tax cuts for the rich, or raping the earth, or refusing water to dying migrants – then you might as well believe bunnies lay painted eggs.

THAT'S what I've been trying to say for, you know, five years now.